- The County put into place a partnership including law enforcement, criminal justice, mental health, and human services agencies to supervise and treat an influx of offenders shifted form state to
county jurisdiction by the State's public safety realignment plan.
- Launched a comprehensive Electronic Medical Records project at Kern Medical Center to improve diagnosis, treatment, and patient care at lower cost, for which the County received full federal
- The creation of a Renewable Energy Neighborhood Enhancement Wind Business Investment Zone, or RENEWBIZ, in concert with the creation of a blight reduction program countywide! Both of my proposals
were approved by the Kern County Board of Supervisors at our December 11, 2012 meeting. Read More
- Convened an ongoing task force of County agencies, cities, and business representatives to study seasonal and chronic unemployment in Kern County and recommend actions to help more Kern County
residents find and keep work.
- Established a curbside recycling program within the unincorporated Bakersfield area in order to meet State-mandated solid waste diversion goals.
- The Board of Supervisors approved 7567 MW of wind and solar energy creating 5500 construction jobs and 1200 permanent jobs.
- Kern County voters overwhelmingly approved a Board of Supervisors adopted ordinance regulating the location and operation of medical marijuana dispensaries, as well as a Board-drafted Civil
Service ordinance streamlining and updating the County's hiring and promotion procedures.
- The Board adopted a balanced County budget that addressed many previously unmet needs for infrastructure repair, equipment replacement, and services to the public while maintaining $66 million
for reserves and contingencies.